With the rise of FREE cross platform messaging apps like Viber, Whatsapp, Telegram and many others, file sharing such as images, word documents, text files, Pdf’s for easy collaboration between a group or individual users has been the order of the day.
At times we will like to share other formats of files such as Corel draw, Photoshop and executable files via these cross platforms but we are denied the rights to do so.
I found a trick on going around this and its awesome.
- File explorer manager (Es File explorer file manager , ASTRO file manager) or any file manager that can help you rename an extension.
- First of all drop the file you want to share into the root directory, or any folder in your directory. For the purpose of this tutorial I am going to use an illustrator file with the extension “.AI”. (You can apply same to .exe, .zip, .rar extensions).
- Open your file manager, select your desired file you want to send and change the extension to “.txt” (Since Whatsapp allows the sharing of text files as well).
- Now open WhatsApp Messenger and access the recipient you want to send the file to. Open the zip icon and select the document option on the pop up window.
- Then select browse other docs…
- Browse to the directory where you renamed your file in Step 2, then select it. (Note: after sending it to the recipient, you should prompt that individual to rename it to the exact extension in other to access the original file after download).
- Recipients can navigate to “/whatsapp/Media/Whatsapp Document/” to access the file and rename its extension.
Subscribe to our mailing list and get tech updates to your email inbox.
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.