NigComSat 1-R a third Nigerian satellite to be placed into orbit is reportedly lying idle regardless of its large number of communication resources at its disposal.
According to a local newspaper, NigComSat 1-R has been idle due to some challenges;
- High cost of internet data.
- Inability to meet June international Telecommunications Union Digital Switch over deadline.
- Absence of real time medicine in the country.
- Among other things.
From other sources ;
- NigComSat-1R’s transponders have not been put into use even for once since it was re-launched in 2011.
- A government official added that the N34 billion naira communication satellite was lying idle partly because of inter-agency rivalry between the National Space Research and Development Agency (NASRDA) and the Nigeria Communications Satellite Limited (NIGCOMSAT).
- Also the lack of sufficient for the training of engineers overseas to broaden and enhance their knowledge.
We hoping for there issues to be attended to and resolved.